Is your explanation scaring your patients??
I’ve found a secret to the success of my practice is:
- ALWAYS explain in simple terms using language understandable to the patient and do NOT use only the Chinese Medical language, i.e “Gua Sha” or Western Medical terms like “soft tissue manipulation” the patient won’t know that sounds too technical.
- NEVER use a word like “scraping” or “breaking” the blood vessels (who wants anything BROKEN in their body??) which has negative and non-medical connotations (you are a Chinese Medical Practitioner who attended Chinese MEDICAL school). How much energy will you have to expend to recover from the negative emotional and mental effects the patient experiences immediately upon hearing that something i
s going to be “broken” as you try to explain how this benefits them!
- Some have said, “If you explain SCRAPING, it doesn’t have to sound unpleasant.” OF COURSE IT DOES…THAT’S WHY YOU HAD TO EXPLAIN IT!!! No manner of explaining will undo the initial impression made when you first say the word, “scraping.” First impressions are everything and very hard to recover from.
- Always relay how anything you do BENEFITS them, i.e make sure your explanation answers the question, “What’s in it for me?”
- Instead, tell them, “Gua Sha increases the flow of blood to a particular area to increase the circulation of oxygen and nutrients to the tissues to assist your body’s own natural healing response. I do this by using a round-edged instrument, a Chinese Medical device (show them) and apply a slight amount of pressure while moving in a particular direction I’ve chosen based on your symptom profile. The enhanced circulation is evident by the increased color you will notice in this area during this procedure. This is a positive sign.” 5. Show them a picture of what the area could look like and ask their permission to proceed with this treatment, letting them know how long the effects might last.
To your SUCCESS!
Caroline & Bryan
P.S. Please leave us your comment…we’d love to know what you think!