Wow! I just spoke with a dear colleague who asked me how we were able to get so many new patients from the events we did! This is a really broad topic. There’s so much that goes into creating events that CRUSH IT!! But here are a few things to remember in terms of what’s called “mindset”.
WHERE’S YOUR MIND?
Mindset is really about your mental perspective and preparation. By the way, did you realize you are selling yourself? That sounds weird to hear and feels uncomfortable to write, but this is a realization I had years ago and is a major reason why you will attract only a few people or a lot of people! People are really investing in YOU! Any patient that’s never been to an Acupuncturist before, will decide on you… based on YOU! It’s the amount of trust you inspire and the confidence you command, so it’s essential to address your state of mind before speaking to others at an event.
1. First of all, there’s nothing that’s more fun! You have the chance to talk with HUNDREDS of people! You might think this sounds TERRIFYING!!! But, think of it as an opportunity to hone your skills. Since I include Tongue examination, I get to see hundreds of tongues at events. This has dramatically improved my range of knowledge (I’ve seen things I NEVER saw in our textbooks!!) and my ability to correlate tongue patterns with symptoms.
By the way, super important, when you’re having fun with this, they’re having fun and will feel a connection with you, since you inspired this emotion, which makes them eager to work with you!
2. EXCITEMENT!!! This is CONTAGIOUS and CRITICAL!! If you’re not excited and passionate and able to convey that to this new person, a gem that you have the opportunity to polish and watch as you help bring them to their full potential of radiance, they won’t get excited about working with you!
3. So, DO NOT try to “sell” to them! Don’t sell them on you or the medicine.
DON’T SELL anything but YOUR EXCITEMENT
In Fact, trying to “sell” or simply being too anxious to help will make them suspicious and push them away. Remember the first few dates you had with a really nice guy you likely would have otherwise liked, accept for the fact that he was just too anxious and eager? We always want what is just beyond our grasp, so be “cool” and relatively neutral. You can still be excited about what you do but NOT OVERLY excited to have them make an appointment.
The good news is YOU DON’T HAVE TO! Simply tell them how much you know, how long you’ve trained and the amazing things the medicine can do and share with them what you see on their Tongue. Your passion and confidence will be irresistible.
PUMP UP THE JAM!
I get really pumped up and start the event by listening to some of my favorite music that gets me excited and dancing and singing at the top of my voice! Of course, this is on the way to the event and I’m sure my fellow drivers think I’m nuts! Gyrating wildly with arms in the air!! It’s embarrassing… you get the picture.
So, remember, before your next event or speaking engagement or even before seeing the next new patient:
1. Listen to your favorite, “get pumped up” music, dance around wildly to get the Qi flowing and build your excitement and energy!
2. Be PASSIONATE in SPEAKING about your PRACTICE!
3. Relax and HAVE FUN with it!
4. KNOW THAT YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY 5000 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE!! Visualize the thousands of practitioners that poured the hearts and souls into this profound MEDICAL SYSTEM surrounding you with the GOLDEN LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE and then just let it all pour out!!
Here’s to your SUCCESS!!
Caroline & Bryan