FastTrack Your Acupuncture Business TODAY To SHOCK Yourself with Practice SUCCESS!!
Oh, oh, oh, but how to do it? Can it be DONE?? A resounding YES!!!
Do you remember hearing of the protocols in China when you were in school? How acute patients came in every day or several times per week to get results? Have you read research reports on these same protocols being used throughout Asia? Yes? I thought so. So, why do you tell your patients to come back in a week for another treatment? And only one week at a time?
I heard long ago that as Chinese Medicine gained popularity in the 70’s, people were also seeing their therapist once per week and Chinese Medicine decided to ” go with the flow” and so implemented the once-per-week model, but that has never been a part of our medicine!
When a patient comes to you in pain and is suffering, should we offer them less than our best?? OF COURSE NOT!! So, tell them … what… they…need!
I always recommend a series of 3-6 treatments IN A ROW, or every other day at most, so WE can both see how your symptom responds.
THIS IS CRITICAL!!
I can not overstate the importance of this simple statement. Here’s what is packed into it:
1. Expectations: You do not, and therefore they should not, expect that only one treatment is going to solve their symptom!
2. Instant Authority Creation: The fact is…YOU KNOW WHAT YOU’RE DOING, but how does the patient know this? When you tell a patient that you have an established procedure for new patients to assess their Rate of Response, you will command instant respect! YOU become the authority because you have established parameters and are showing that you know what you’re doing! This makes them pay attention and accept you as the authority. This is one of the premier moments in which they decide that YOU are the person they need in order to heal themselves.
3. Measurable Results: You establish that you EXPECT results and that those results are measurable!! (So, make sure you have a method of measuring before and after!)
4. Patient Partnership: You create a partnership with the patient. Because you said, “We can both see how your body responds”, you have included them and engaged them in looking at their symptom WITH you. This creates the atmosphere of trust, partnership, working together side-by-side. You have implied that you have knowledge but are not placing yourself above them, but by their side.
5. Cumulative Results: The effects of Acupuncture are cumulative! Don’t chiropractors and physical therapists ALL find the same thing? When’s the last time you went to the gym ONE TIME and had the body strength, flexibility and weight you wanted after that one visit?? NEVERRRRRR!
You first need repeated signals to stop the bad pathway/function, e.g. if liver yang is rising,you must descend it. But is that enough? NO!! Won’t it just rise again unless you solve why it rose in the first place?? YES!! So, now you have to solve the reason WHY it rose:
– Did the yang rise because liver yin was deficient? Then, you must now nourish liver yin! What does that require??
- Dietary modifications
- Lifestyle modifications
- More acupuncture
- Chinese Medicine Botanicals (I prefer this term since we are licensed professionals and highly trained to prescribe these as an elevated art form and have, at a minimum, our Masters Degree; we’re not simply bringing in some “herbs” from the garden to put in a salad! …And, most importantly, our patients need to realize all of this via our language.)
WOW! That’s a lot of stuff that needs to happen! So, how many visits does this patient really need?? How many consults? How many acupuncture treatments? How much info for you to provide on diet and lifestyle?
Write down everything they need and present them with your recommendations.
Remember, your job is to give them your best! They may say they do or do not want this amount of care or can or can not afford it, but it is your duty to tell them what they need and then create a plan around what is doable for their desires, time and budget.
You will be surprised at how many patients will make a concerted effort for months and years to not only resolve their symptoms, but solve the reason why they happened, but this can only happen if you present them with the plan of the care that they need..
TO YOUR SUCCESS!!
Caroline & Bryan